1. Dealing with eating disorders during this season can be hard, but it will be easier if you eat regularly and plan ahead when you will be attending social events. It is a mistake to skip meals or to eat in a pattern that is not reasonable because you may have indulged before.
2. Carefully choose the events that you attend during the holidays. Before you go eat something so that you do not arrive famished. This will help you stick to the plan and the foods that are acceptable and help you avoid overeating or being tempted in other ways. It is okay to turn down invitations if you feel the events pose a risk to your recovery and well being.
3. Talk about any questions or anxieties that you have concerning eating disorders with your treatment team and your support group ahead of time. These individuals may be able to help you get through the season without any additional problems, and keep you on track with your treatment plan.
4. Before you go anywhere for the holidays know what to expect and make sure that there are no unpleasant surprises. If you have a binge eating disorder then going to a cookie swap party may be a bad idea and it may be better to decline this invitation so that you are not tempted to give in.
5. Focus on fun instead of food. Spending time with family and friends can help you enjoy the season without the focus always being on what is served and what you eat. Bring along a few healthy snacks to nibble on during the event. If anyone asks simply tell them you are currently following a special diet that your doctor recommended.