Substance abuse treatment and alcohol detox can be found in a number of ways. The 5 most common substance abuse treatment and alcohol detox options include:
1. Medical Based Programs- These substance abuse treatment or alcohol detox programs take place in a hospital or medical clinic setting, and usually medical supervision is included. Changes in the types of programs covered by insurance make these options less popular than they used to be because most insurance plans do not cover the entire cost for this type of alcohol detox or substance abuse treatment.
2. Day Treatment or Partial Hospitalization- When there is a strong family support system then day treatment may work for alcohol detox or substance abuse treatment. The individual will go to the clinic or hospital for part of the day, usually 4-8 hours, and then go home each afternoon.
3. Residential Rehab- When alcohol detox or substance abuse treatment takes place in a residential rehab then the individual receiving treatment will reside at the facility until the program is completed. There is an around the clock staff on the premises and medical supervision is often provided as well. Some residential rehabs offer alcohol detox and substance abuse treatment at the same facility so there is no need to transition between facilities for different treatment phases.
4. Intensive Outpatient Treatment- This method for substance abuse treatment or alcohol detox is outpatient, but it is very intensive. Participants must perform many hours of treatment each week, and these programs can last up to a year or even longer in some situations.
5. Outpatient Treatment- Outpatient treatment for alcohol or other types of substance abuse usually involves individual or group counseling sessions. The number of hours required may vary by specific program, and this method may not be as effective as others.
Alcohol detox is important for several reasons, and this step offer many benefits for anyone who has a problem with alcohol addiction. Some top reasons why alcohol detox is necessary include:
1. A Better Chance of Permanent Recovery- Alcohol detox is often needed in order to gain a permanent recovery. Going cold turkey without any support usually leads to a relapse, especially when the withdrawal symptoms start. Alcohol addiction can be extremely difficult to overcome permanently without the right detox programs and methods.
2. Eliminate Any Medical Risks Possible During the Withdrawal Period- Alcohol detox programs are designed to eliminate any medical risks that you may face while you are withdrawing from this substance. In severe cases alcohol withdrawal symptoms can be dangerous or even deadly, and a medically supervised alcohol detox program can prevent these problems.
3. Clean Alcohol From The Body Before Starting Alcohol Addiction Treatment- Before you begin alcohol addiction treatment it is important that you are clean and sober, and this means alcohol detox in some way.
4. Fewer Or Less Severe Withdrawal Symptoms- Alcohol detox can help minimize the severity and number of withdrawal symptoms that you experience. Programs that involve medical supervision can provide medications which help to control withdrawal symptoms and keep you more comfortable during the alcohol detox process.
5. Alcohol Detox Usually Provides Better Treatment Results- When you enter an alcohol detox program before receiving alcohol addiction treatment you will generally get a much better outcome. Until you are completely clean you can not focus on the issues that you must work through to address your substance abuse problems.
1. Each alcohol abuse treatment facility will offer different types of treatment methods and programs. Some will include on site detox while others will only take a client after this step has been completed, and that can mean going to different facilities in order to finish certain stages. During alcohol detox medical supervision can be important.
2. Detoxing from alcohol abuse or addiction can be tricky for some people, and those who have abused this drug for long periods or who usually consume large amounts each day may be physically addicted to alcohol. If going cold turkey is attempted without medical oversight then convulsions, seizures, and even death can occur.
3. The right alcohol abuse treatment program and facility will have a variety of detox tools that can help during this phase. Medications may be given to control any tremors or seizures, and there are things that can help with intense cravings. The individual will be kept stable while they eliminate all alcohol from their system, and this will leave them ready to begin the treatment and recovery phase.
4. The cost of detox and alcohol abuse treatment can vary greatly. Some programs may be fairly inexpensive, but these may not offer the most effective treatment methods or relapse prevention tools that are needed for a permanent recovery.
5. Christian alcohol abuse treatment programs often get better results than those which are not faith based, but this is only true if the individual actually believes. Luxury programs may not always give the best results if the additional costs are not used to pay for methods that have been proven to work.
Alcohol abuse and addiction can destroy lives, but detoxing from alcohol also poses some dangers if this process is not carried out properly. A physical tolerance for alcohol can develop over time, especially if you consume this substance on a regular basis or in large amounts. If you try and quit cold turkey then the dangers of alcohol detox can be numerous. Serious medical complications can occur, and there are medications that may be given in order to minimize cravings and prevent serious or permanent harm to your body and internal organs. Initially neurological changes and thought patterns are affected, and this can occur in as little as 6 hours from having your last drink or as long as 2-3 days after you consume the last of the alcohol.
When the neurological changes occur due to detoxing from alcohol hallucinations may occur. You could see, hear, smell, and taste things that are not real. Seizures are also a common issue when alcohol use is stopped, and these can be mild or extremely severe and life threatening. Individuals with chronic alcohol abuse over a long period of time are at the greatest risk and need an alcohol detox program with medical supervision the most. Confusion, irritability, and disorientation can also occur because you stop drinking. Irregular heartbeats and other cardiac rhythm problems can cause a heart attack, and strokes are also a possibility during the detox phase of alcohol addiction treatment. An increase in blood pressure can occur due to the strain on the body, and eventually death is a real risk to the individual who is undergoing detox for alcohol use.
There are many alcohol abuse treatment BC facilities and programs, but what treatment methods are available and which facilities have the highest success rates? Alcohol abuse can lead to dependence and then addiction, and withdrawal symptoms may appear in as little as a few hours after the last drink is taken. Medical detox may be required if you have been drinking heavily or the alcohol abuse is a chronic situation that has been going on for some time. Therapies that are used with other forms of substance abuse are often included in an alcohol rehab program, including individual and group sessions as well as spiritual counseling. Before treatment for the underlying addiction can be started medical detox is needed to eliminate this substance from the body.
During the alcohol abuse treatment BC there are a number of detox methods that may also be provided. Often prescription medications are needed to help control the alcohol withdrawal symptoms and keep you comfortable during this stressful period. Prolonged or heavy alcohol use can lead to serious complications when this is stopped suddenly, and life threatening complications are more common than you may believe. Benzodiazepines may be given to calm any anxiety and keep you more comfortable. Hallucinations may require anti psychotic drugs, and beta blockers can normalize any abnormal heart rhythms and blood pressure. Drugs that help prevent or treat seizures may also be prescribed during the alcohol detox process as well. If you or a loved one has a problem with alcohol abuse then the Crossing Point offers a comprehensive alcohol detox and treatment program that has a very high success rate!