1. Anorexia nervosa is not about dieting or food, this disorder goes much deeper than that. This is one of the types of eating disorders that is very complex, and it has psychological and social components that can make effective treatment very difficult. Food is linked to body image or control in some cases and this link must be severed with intensive counseling.
2. Most types of eating disorders have a false body image factor, but this is just one of many factors that needs to be addressed. The reason for the anorexia nervosa will vary from one person to the next, and the only way to get to the root causes is with individual counseling several times a week.
3. There are two types of eating disorders when it comes to anorexia nervosa, restricting and purging. With restricting anorexia nervosa yo will try to lose weight or maintain an unhealthy body weight that is too low by using very strict diets, exercising almost around the clock, and even fasting completely at times. This restricts the calorie intake.
4. Purging anorexia nervosa is when you achieve weight loss by eating normally or even over eating and then purging yourself. You may force vomiting after every meal and snack, you may use laxatives in large amounts, and the use of diuretics is common with many types of eating disorders.
5. Anorexia nervosa is one of the types of eating disorders that can be treated with the right methods and counseling types. If you or someone that you care about has any eating disorder it is important to seek help as soon as possible.