1. Substance abuse treatment requires constant monitoring and testing in order to be effective. Let’s face it, you are in treatment for drug or alcohol abuse because you have a problem. Many who enter a rehab program will relapse and use the substance of choice while they are getting help so monitoring and testing is very important during the treatment process.
2. There is no single substance abuse treatment program that will offer everyone the same results. Each individual will start using drugs or alcohol for specific reasons, and these reasons are not always the same. Substance abuse treatment that is effective will examine the individual factors in each case and develop a customized treatment plan.
3. Addiction causes physical and psychological changes in the brain, and this can interfere with normal thought processes. Until you are clean and sober you can not usually make the best decisions, so detox can be a very important part of substance abuse treatment that is effective. .
4. Individual counseling is one of the forms of substance abuse treatment that is effective. This method is needed so that you can work through your unique causes and determine why you abuse drugs or alcohol. One on one therapy should occur along with group therapy each week.
5. Before you can receive substance abuse treatment that is effective any mental disorders that you have must be diagnosed, and these need to be treated along with the substance abuse. Many individuals have both substance abuse issues and one or more mental disorders, and a dual diagnosis is needed in these cases.